Andhra Paper Limited is one of the largest integrated paper and pulp manufacturers in India. Established in 1964.
The Company produces writing, printing and copier papers for foreign and domestic markets. Our production facilities at Rajahmundry and Kadiyam have a total production capacity of 240,000 TPA. The company employs around 2,500 employees and is headquartered in Hyderabad.
In 1921, the Paper Mills was established as Carnatic Paper Mills Ltd. at Rajahmundry. During its initial years the mill was not making any profits and was eventually shut down due to insolvency. In 1929, The Andhra Paper Mills Co. Ltd. was incorporated to take over the assets of Carnatic Paper Mills Ltd. After formation of the State of Andhra Pradesh in 1953, the Andhra Pradesh Government took over Andhra Paper Mills. Its capacity at that time was 10 TPD.
Pursuant to a joint venture agreement between Government of Andhra Pradesh and the industrialist, Mr. G. D Somani, the Government agreed to transfer the assets to a new company, to be formed in the name of “The Andhra Pradesh Paper Mills Ltd.” (Company) Accordingly, the company was incorporated on June 29, 1964, under the Companies Act, 1956.
In 1966, Mr. Somani transferred his rights and obligations to the West Coast Paper Mills Ltd., which in turn transferred its ownership in 1981 to Digvijay Investments Ltd. controlled by Mr. L N Bangur.
In October, 2011, the Company was acquired by International Paper (IP), a $28 billion American pulp and paper company founded in 1898. In the first significant domestic acquisition by a foreign paper company, IP bought 75% stake in the Company.
In December, 2013, the company was renamed as “International Paper APPM Limited”. The name change intended to recognize the parentage of International Paper, while maintaining the link to the history and positioning of the Andhra Paper Mills brand.
In October, 2019 the controlling stake in the Company was acquired from IP by West Coast Paper Mills Ltd. (WCPM). WCPM, a part of S.K. Bangur Group, is one of the oldest and the largest producers of paper for printing, writing, and packaging in India. Established in 1955, WCPM is located at Dandeli in Uttara Kannada district in Karnataka. Consequently the Company became a Subsidiary of WCPM.
In January 2020, the name of the Company was changed to Andhra Paper Limited which not only reflects the business of the Company, but also brings back the old glory to the Company.